Sunday, January 30, 2011

Trainer Time Again.

Well for the last couple of days we have been able to sit in a saddle and be outside with the wind in our faces. I even saw a few people brave enough to ride Roger's Canyon road out at the end of Ninth Street, braving the mild weather and the viscous dogs that run wild and unkept by the residents of our rural and rugged outskirts of town. So what do you do when a dog chases you? a good old fashioned water bottle squirt to the face. And for all of you who would wear a Camel Back on a road ride, pedal faster.

But none of us could pedal fast enough to get away from old man winter. But, if you have the itch that only cycling can scratch, then you need penicillin. If you can't afford penicillin, then you might need to find other means to satisfy your cycling psoriasis. Spin classes are one way to go. It is like a stationary Tour de France, and if you have a Calvin and Hobbs style imagination then you can always come in first.

But if you are like me, then you might need to set something up a little closer to home.

I hate riding a trainer, but it is a great way to kill an hour and keep a few miles on your legs.

As you can see, I am posted in front of the old boob tube, and I don't watch all of the race videos to motivate me. Instead I have created a little game called sitcom sprints. I watch the program and spin comfortably, but during the commercials I sprint...okay two minute sprints would kill me, so I just go hard for two minutes. (Notice Pedar's rollers tucked neatly away by the door.)



Speaking of commercials, I decided that sometimes I needed to channel surf but had a hard time keeping the remote close, so I made this remote caddy from some old cloth scraps I had laying around from my frame pad fixie days. Pretty snazzy, I know. If you have a good way to fight cabin fever....besides skiing, let me know, I would love to hear about it. Thanks, and as always, happy trails from the Pedal House.

No comments:

Post a Comment