Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Opening Day

Bicycles have a special place in a young persons life. Before the bicycle, children are part of a family unit, traveling in herds of humans with little to no real say in the direction of the packs movement. But when you straddle that iron machine, leather grips in your hands, wind in your hair, suddenly you have a degree of autonomy that is not only new, but exhilarating. Individual thoughts can guide your every move, and for the first time, you can decide where the wind will take you...at least until supper time.
I have never stopped feeling that excitement in the saddle. Sure, I have bicycle mechanic experience, but it is all derived from the love I have for everything bicycle.
Recently, Jessica (my beautiful river rat of a wife) and I purchased the Pedal House, THE bicycle shop in our home town. It is an honor and a privilege to be associated with such a stellar bike shop. The reputation and traditions that have been developed over the last 20 years will be held in the highest esteem, and as the new owner of the Pedal House, I will work to insure quality and service not only stay the same, but they improve. Of course I could never do any of this by myself. I have a team of amazing employees, and I would like to extend my deepest gratitude to my friends Pedar, Joel, Lindsey, and Pee Jay for remaining patient and supporting me through the transaction process. I would also like to thank Carl Gose, my friend and the former owner, for taking me seriously when I told him I wanted to buy his business. Thanks could not be extended in this blog without mention of the mothers and fathers, both mine, (Don & Gloria) and Jessica's (Dean & Phyllis) for the unwavering support. And where would I be without Jessica? I can't even begin to describe how much I am indebted to Jessica for helping me realize my dreams. Not only did she agree to riding a tandem through town on our wedding day with a "Just married" sign on the back, but she encouraged me to enter into this adventure.Last, but obviously not least, is you, the customer; thank you. The Pedal House is your shop too, and we don't want to come in a make huge sweeping changes. We want the quality of our services to be something you can count on. So come on down to the Pedal house for a bike, a tune up, or just to say hi. I look forward to sharing my love for bicycles with you and helping keep your bicycle on the road.

2 comments:

  1. Dude...you know how much this warms my heart, right? You two are making me very proud and I cannot wait to come down to buy my next bike from you at The Pedal House. I may even have to wear my old-school Pedal House t-shirt to commemorate the occasion. It's only 15 years old, after all. ;)

    Nice work all the way around!

    ReplyDelete